The criminal justice system can be overwhelming. Let us help.
The Legal Advocacy Program provides services to women staying at the shelter and community women not staying overnight at the shelter.
- On-call advocacy follow-up to all arrests
- Transportation (if needed) and support advocacy for court hearings
- Assistance in gathering and documenting evidence in criminal and civil cases (photos of injuries)
- A communication network linking women with probation officers, prosecuting attorneys and law enforcement
- Assistance with Orders for Protection and Harassment Orders
Through the Legal Advocacy Program, Safe Haven Shelter has worked to move beyond the concept of only providing emergency safe housing and advocacy, to an approach that challenges each of the community’s institutions to both protect victims of battering and to change the cultural facilitators of battering.